The importance of sustainability
As a family-owned company, our philosophy is to provide a safe and nurturing environment for our staff, to be active and positive contributors to the communities in which we live and work and to be good stewards of our environment.
In 2021, we launched the Dawn Farms All Our Futures Sustainability Programme. The purpose is to unite our 4 manufacturing plants across Ireland, the UK and Germany under one common sustainability strategy. This includes our commitment to setting Science Based Targets for GHG reduction. Through the programme, we have put in place common goals and initiatives under our 4 key sustainability pillars to contribute to a sustainable future for all and ensure the long-term sustainable development of Dawn Farms.
Our Sustainability Focus
Working in harmony with the world around us
Mindful of our energy and water use, food waste & product packaging.
- Commited to setting science-based targets for greenhouse gas reduction
- Reduced overall energy use per unit of production by 5% from 2016 baseline
- All fat and oil waste from cooking process is recycled into biofuel
- Zero waste to landfill company
Workplace & Community
Engage with and promote positive initiatives within the workplace and community.
- Over 120,000 meals donated to FoodCloud
- Our 2-3 year Apprenticeship Programme develops skills for Electrical Technicians, Engineers, Lab Technicians, in Supply Chain, Lean Six Sigma, Robotics and more…
- Work with KARE and Naas General Hospital to help people with intellectual disabilities gain new skills
Modern Slavery Statement | This statement is made pursuant of the Modern Slavery Act 2015 and sets out the steps that Dawn Farms has taken and is continuing to take to ensure that modern slavery or human trafficking is not taking place within our business or supply chain. Click here to read >>
Health & Nutrition
Continuous development of products with simple and nutritious ingredients.
- Palm oil is not permitted in any of our ingredients
- Strive towards clean label ingredients
- Lower salt options available for all our products
- Plant Deli and 50/50 product ranges offer high protein, sustainable alternatives to 100% animal-based products
Insist on robust traceability, segregation, product control, provenance & animal welfare from our suppliers.
- Sourcing 100% renewable electricity since 2014
- All cardboard packaging is FSC certified
- No protein raw materials or dry ingredients are sourced from areas of deforestation
Our emissions reduction targets are approved by the Science Based Targets initiative, demonstrating our commitment to building a sustainable future and limiting global warming to 1.5°C.
SCIENCE BASED TARGETS
Driving ambitious corporate climate action
The 2015 Paris Agreement on Climate Change sets out the framework to limit global temperature increases to well below 2°C, and ideally 1.5°C above pre-industrial levels, to avoid further climate destruction and avoid the worst impacts of climate change. The latest climate science from the IPCC – described by the UN as “code red for humanity” – shows it is still possible to limit global temperature rise to 1.5°C, but we are dangerously close to that threshold. At present global temperatures are now 1.1°C above pre-industrial levels.
The food industry is a major contributor to global greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions, and as a food manufacturer specialising in meat products, Dawn Farms recognise our contribution to GHG emissions and the need to reduce our emissions in line with science. In 2021, we began the process of evaluating our total carbon impact across our entire value chain, with the intention to set emission reduction targets in line with climate science recommendations, to limit Global warming to 1.5°C.
Dawn Farms is a founding member of the Origin Green Programme and we have already taken many action to reduce our GHG emissions and progress our climate action journey through efforts such as:
- Sourcing renewable energy: We now source 100% renewable wind electricity across all our operations.
- Investment in Waste Heat Recovery: Capturing waste heat for energy at our Irish operations has reduced total energy use and GHG emissions.
- Sustainable Sourcing: As a policy, we do not use palm oil in our ingredients and no protein raw materials or dry ingredients are sourced from areas of deforestation.
- Reducing Food Waste: We partner with Food Cloud to re-distribute edible surplus food waste from our operations. To date we have donated over 66 tonnes of food that would otherwise be wasted, representing approximately 212 tonnes of C02-eq being avoided.
We are pleased that our emissions reduction targets approved by the Science Based Targets initiative (SBTI), committing to reduce absolute scope 1 and 2 GHG emissions by 46.2% by 2030 from a 2019 base year, and to reduce scope 3 GHG emissions covering purchased goods and services by 35% per tonne of finished product within the same timeframe, in line with the 1.5°C trajectory.
Achieving these targets will require further continuous improvement in our operational efficiencies, as well as partnerships and collaborations across our value chains, to drive emission reductions in the raw materials we source.
Putting our principles into practice
Dawn Farms is a founding member of Origin Green, Ireland’s pioneering food and drink sustainability programme. The programme is the worlds’ only national food and drink sustainability programme, and enables the industry to set and achieve measurable sustainability targets that respect the environment and serve local communities more effectively. Our commitment to sustainability goes beyond the here and now. It underpins our desire to guarantee the integrity of our products and their security of supply long into the future.
In 2022, we were awarded Gold Membership of the Origin Green Programme. Gold Membership is awarded to members who display exemplary performance across their targets covering the mandatory areas of Raw Material Sourcing, Manufacturing & Operations and Social Sustainability.
We are proud to collaborate with the following organisations to ensure best practice in our operations and value chains aligned with our 4 sustainability pillars.
ALIGNED WITH THE UNITED NATIONS SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT GOALS
We are committed to supporting the achievement of the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) through the activities of the All Our Futures Sustainability Programme. The 17 SDGs are a set of goals to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure prosperity for all as part of a global sustainable development agenda. We focus on the areas we can have the biggest impact; particularly Goal 2 (zero hunger), Goal 12 (responsible consumption and production), Goal 13 (climate action), and Goal 17 (partnerships for the goals).